Re: Consistent face for keys in *Help* and `substitute-command-keys'

From: Stefan Kangas
Subject: Re: Consistent face for keys in *Help* and `substitute-command-keys'
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2021 18:45:50 -0600

Juri Linkov <juri@linkov.net> writes:

>> What do you think of something like:
>>
>>      :background "grey92" :foreground "DarkBlue"
>>      :box (:line-width 1 :color "grey80"))
>>
>> On my screen, this is legible.  The DarkBlue and border makes it at the
>> same time stand out as highlighted.
>
> This looks nice.

Great, thanks.

> I suppose DarkBlue is intended to make it look more like a link when
> help-link-key-to-documentation is non-nil?

Something like that, yes.

Mostly I just wanted to make it brighter without making it more grey,
i.e. "highlight" it more.  Blue seemed a non-opinionated choice, as we
already have some blue in the help buffer, and yes it also makes sense
due to the planned linking.

But this choice of colour is 100 % open for discussion, so feel free to
suggest something better if you prefer.  There is no strong need to use
blue, I think; we could have some other convention.

(We should probably avoid having our help buffers light up like a
Christmas tree, though.  And every "new" colour arguably takes us
further down that slippery slope.  Which doesn't stop us from adding
them, of course, but we should do it a bit carefully.)