Re: Suggested experimental test

From: Gregory Heytings
Subject: Re: Suggested experimental test
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2021 17:48:44 +0000

Even among the C-LETTER and M-LETTER keys, there are quite a few whose meaning have changed during the last 40 years. I know at least of: C-h, C-l, M-g, M-j, M-n, M-o, M-p, M-r and M-s. That's 9 keys out of 52.

Please describe those changes one by one. At least for some of these keys I'm unaware of any changes in their bindings, so I'm curious what exactly is considered a "change" in this context.

C-c: was initially exit-recursive-edit, and was changed to a prefix key for modes in Emacs 16; exit-recursive-edit was then moved to C-M-c

C-h: was initially (and in other Emacsen) the same as C-b, and was (very early in the development of GNU Emacs) changed into the help character

C-l: was 'recenter' up to and including Emacs 22, then became 'recenter-top-bottom', which changes its semantics when is repeated

C-z: was initially (and in other Emacsen) a prefix character, was at some point bound exit-recursive-edit, then became (in GNU Emacs 1.11) bound to suspend-emacs

M-g: was initially bound to fill-region, was used for facemenu in Emacs 19-21, and is used for goto-like commands since Emacs 22

M-j: was initially unused, became indent-new-comment-line in Emacs 1.7

M-n and M-p: were initially unused, became what they are now in Emacs 17

M-o: was unused before Emacs 22, was used for facemenu in Emacs 22-27

M-r: was initially unused, became 'move-to-window-line' in Emacs 16, then became 'move-to-window-line-top-bottom', which changed its semantics when it is repeated

M-s: was initially unused, became center-line for text-modes in Emacs 16, and is used for search-like commands since Emacs 23

Thanks, this matches my recollection: only 3 keys (M-g, M-o, M-s) were changed recently enough to count for this discussion. The rest are ancient history (more than 35 years ago), and C-l's change is very much minor (it _adds_ to the previous user-visible behavior, but doesn't change it).

You forget M-r, changed in Emacs 23.

So my summary would be different: since 35 years ago, only a handful of these keys were ever changed.

I was replying to Alfred, who said that nothing had changed during the last 40 years.