Re: Suggested experimental test

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: Suggested experimental test
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2021 17:46:54 +0000

Hello, Gregory.

On Mon, Mar 22, 2021 at 17:08:32 +0000, Gregory Heytings wrote:

[ .... ]

> > For now I count 3 people from mailing lists who already objected to it,
> > including me.

> I've only seen one (you), and perhaps a second one (Alfred), but I'm not
> quite sure because he initially thought that open-line would be removed.

You ignored my objections on Saturday.  That makes at least 3 people
who've objected.  That's not counting the people who have merely
"commented" rather than objected whole-heartedly.

[ .... ]

> > Gregory, don't you think that 3 users including me who expressed their
> > objections is not part of the experiment already?

> No, precisely because nobody actually experimented the potential change.

There's no need for any "experiment".  It's perfectly obvious what you're
proposing and the effect it will have.

And describing it as an "experiment", as though your intention is purely
to discover something about Emacs use, is more than a little disingenuous.

There remains the possibility that you intend to push through this
removal of the C-o binding, and describing it as "an experiment" should
soften the resistance to it.  Of course, it is very easy to forget to
restore the binding once the "experiment" is over.

C-o is a much used binding, valued by lots of people, including me.

> You cannot give an opinion on a change before experimenting it for some
> time, say, at least a day.

Anybody who wishes to experiment with this thing is perfectly able to
make the temporary adjustments to his own key maps without annoying other
users of the master branch.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).