RE: [External] : Re: Suggested experimental test

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: [External] : Re: Suggested experimental test
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2021 19:56:57 +0000

> Obviously, I'm not proposing this just to leave the that key unused.

Oh, but I wish that _were_ the proposal...  Unused AND
with an intention not to bind it by default at all.

If we can remove preloading of facemenu or whatever
then why can't we remove this or that default binding?

Post the change in NEWS, with the code to reenable
it for anyone who needs it: (global-set-key ...).

I'm in favor of freeing up `C-o' for preferential
use by 3rd-party code (e.g. as a prefix key or a
repeating command or ...).

I sympathize with anyone who has a longstanding habit
of using some key that's been bound by default.  But
nothing is easier for a user than binding such a key.

Voila.  You asked for opinions.  Apologies to all
who objected to the proposed change for other/opposite
reasons.

My objection is not to removal of the existing binding;
it's to binding `C-o' in some other default way.

Just unbind it and declare Emacs's intention, at least
for the foreseeable future, to not bind it by default.
Give it up to 3rd-party code, unless/until Emacs really
gets a screaming/important need to bind it by default.