Re: Suggested experimental test

From: Alfred M. Szmidt
Subject: Re: Suggested experimental test
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2021 17:08:21 -0400

   > I don't have the link at hand, but RMS had posted how to do exactly this
   > time of poll.  I can try to locate it for you if you want.

   I would indeed be interested in seeing it.

Attached is one way of polling users that was suggested.

===File ~/how-to-poll-users.text============================
From: Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org>
To: Dmitry Gutov <dgutov@yandex.ru>
Cc: luangruo@yahoo.com, seb@k-7.ch, pcr910303@icloud.com, emacs-devel@gnu.org
Subject: How to poll the users
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2020 23:14:05 -0400

  > Also note that we don't really have the ability to poll even our
  > existing users,

We have done it many times.  Here's the method I developed for polls
in the past:

* Make a file for the replies to go into.

* Make a mailing address which drops all mail into the file.

* Mail to info-gnu-emacs and help-gnu-emacs, and any other suitable
place, presenting the proposed change in sufficient detail that people
can judge it, and where to email the response, as well as what kind of
information we seek.

What we seek is not "votes", but understanding.  If you are for the
change, please explain why.  Would it help you directly?  If so, in
what scenario, and what would the benefit be?  And how important?

Or is it that you think it will help Emacs development by helping
others?  Please distinguish between what you know and what you guess.

Likewise, if you are against the change, please explain why.  Would it
inconvenience you directly?  If so, in what scenario, and what would
the inconvenience be?  And how important?

Or is it that you think it will harm Emacs development by
inconveniencing others?

We invite you also to propose changes in the proposal that would
improve it, for you -- saying in what scenario, and how.

* We state a deadline some weeks in the future, but since there is no
hurry, we wait some extra time before we look at the responses.

* Ultimately, we do not restrict ourselves to choosing between "make
the change" and "don't make it".  The best outcome is that the
feedback enables us to design a way to please almost everyone.

--
Dr Richard Stallman