Re: [External] : Re: Gitlab Migration

From: Tim Cross
Subject: Re: [External] : Re: Gitlab Migration
Date: Sun, 05 Sep 2021 06:18:18 +1000

Daniel Fleischer <danflscr@gmail.com> writes:

> Drew Adams [2021-09-04 Sat 19:14] wrote:
>
>> I was thinking of `electric-pair-mode' (not the
>> indenting), sorry.  Do most other editors
>> automatically insert closing delimiters etc.?
>> Even for non-code text?
>
> Code editors YES, word processors NO.  You're exactly right with that;
> we need to split our modifications and put them on either prog-mode or
> text-mode.
>
>> You won't get any argument from me about what
>> belongs in Emacs tool bars.  I don't use the
>> tool-bar, and I don't know what's best wrt it
>> for emacs -Q - either in terms of whether it
>> should be on or off or what buttons it should
>> contain.
>
> We are not talking here about modifying default (-Q) Emacs; we're
> talking about creating an OPT-IN experience for new users that will
> increase the probability of them liking and using Emacs in the future,
> increasing Emacs popularity and community.
>
> So this specific discussion is on whether adding certain defaults will
> likely make new users more comfortable or not.  It will have no effect
> on users who would not turn this feature ON.
>
>> And how to know what solution is good for that?
>> Why not encourage such experiments, and see how
>> actual users actually take up the results?
>
> I don't think people who start using Emacs and create their own packages
> is the demographics for these profiles.  We can do experiments by
> introducing the feature and doing some surveys.

It might be worthwhile looking at some of the existing configuration
packages and perhaps use what they do for inspiration. For example
https://github.com/technomancy/better-defaults - there are others
mentioned on the emacs wiki. Likewise, extracting some of the more
simple tweaks from prelude or Purcell's .emacs.d may e informative as
both these 'distributions' are quite popular and unlike spacemacs/doom,
are not based around evil mode. Things which are common to both of these
are likely good candidates for inclusion. Also worth noting that both
these setups make a distinction between 'pros' and 'programming', which
I think is preferable to global settings for many options.