Re: Grammar checking in Emacs

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Grammar checking in Emacs
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2021 20:09:19 +0200

> From: Philip Kaludercic <philipk@posteo.net>
> Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2021 18:01:48 +0000
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org, Daniel Martín <mardani29@yahoo.es>

> > Any chance you could port it to `flymake` and contribute it to GNU ELPA?
>
> Should this use flymake or should ispell be generalized to handle
> grammar checking as well?  Usually flymake doesn't offer you direct
> suggestions on how to fix code (or at least I haven't seen it yet),
> while ispell gives me a list of possible fixes.

Ispell's interface for the list of fixes is not really appropriate for
grammar checking, since in the latter case one frequently needs to
replace entire phrases, and also because in many cases the checker
needs to display an elaborate explanation of the mistake.  So I think
IU-wise neither Ispell nor Flymake's default presentation are good
candidates, perhaps something like flymake-show-buffer-diagnostics.

Caveat: my experience with using grammar checkers is very limited.