Re: Grammar checking in Emacs

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Grammar checking in Emacs
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2021 23:06:27 -0500

  > Sadly it's not packaged for Debian (see
  > https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=403619 suggests for
  > the details).  I can't see any info about using it on Fedora either.
  > AFAICT the most popular way to install it is as a "snap" package, which
  > I consider to be a euphemism for a blob :-(

I think the same.

I am starting to think that the GNU Project needs to adopt standard
not to steer people towards programs which are released primarily via
containers, on the grounds that it is too hard to tell whether they
are actually free.

This would also cover the programs that are built using package library
managers such as pip and cargo, which don't provide a way to reject
the nonfree packages they contain.  Basically, the difference between
these and container managers are not significant for this issue.

Some of the packages are free, and some of them may work with
only free packages, but unless we can say how to install them
in a way that you can verify is free, we cannot that that as known.