Re: Grammar checking in Emacs

From: Tim Cross
Subject: Re: Grammar checking in Emacs
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2021 09:49:07 +1100

> In my view, this is not a problem of software freedom, so I do consider
> LanguageTool to be philosophically perfectly acceptable.
> It's just technically rather annoying to install :-(
> [ Installing a JAR file is no solution, since you then have to worry
>   about keeping it up-to-date.  ]

Just interested in why you find installing a jar file so problematic.
Given it is essentially just a zip archive, how is installing a jar file
and keeping it up-to-date any different from installing any binary
package? Even when you clone a repository and build from sources, you
still have to pull updates and rebuild. Is their something fundamentally
different with jar or is it simply a different build system and the
discomfort is due to it being less familiar?