Re: Grammar checking in Emacs

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Grammar checking in Emacs
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2021 22:18:46 -0500

> Should this use flymake or should ispell be generalized to handle
> grammar checking as well?

I don't think ispell/flyspell are particularly well suited for
today's expectations.  I'd welcome a new interface to ispell based on
something like jit-lock or flymake.

> Usually flymake doesn't offer you direct suggestions on how to fix
> code (or at least I haven't seen it yet), while ispell gives me a list
> of possible fixes.

I think flymake would benefit from improvements to make this possible,
and several flymake backends could take advantage (e.g. checkdoc).

For me the question is rather whether flymake performs well enough when
opening a 10MB file.

        Stefan