Re: Grammar checking in Emacs

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Grammar checking in Emacs
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2021 09:28:50 -0500

> Not opposing Richard's statements in general, I would like to provide
> several clarifications about LanguageTool:
> 1. It does not _require_ a server but can be used as a command line tool
> 2. It's source code is available via
>    git clone https://github.com/languagetool-org/languagetool
>    It is licensed under LGPL.

Indeed.  And IIUC the main reason why it's not in Debian (other than
lack of time/dedication to package it up) seems to be that its language
models have a murky copyright because they've been trained on text files
whose copyright isn't itself clean.

In my view, this is not a problem of software freedom, so I do consider
LanguageTool to be philosophically perfectly acceptable.
It's just technically rather annoying to install :-(
[ Installing a JAR file is no solution, since you then have to worry
  about keeping it up-to-date.  ]

        Stefan