Re: sqlite3

From: Karl Fogel
Subject: Re: sqlite3
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2021 16:17:01 -0600

On 14 Dec 2021, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
Yes, those are the plusses. The downsides are the bloat (i don't know by how much), the dilution in Emacs's purpose (it's even less the "do one thing and do it well" than it was), and I suppose there might even be negative security implications (it's a database after all). Also people will be forced to learn new tools, both inside and outside of Emacs. I fear it will create another elite in the Emacs project, those who have mastered sqlite, similar to, for example, those who can read and write
the cl- library.

If it's any comfort, sqlite3 is small, both in source code and memory footprint. (Famously small -- part of its purpose [1] is to be small enough that it can be bundled even into constrained environments.) And it's *very* easy to use if one has any SQL-ish database experience at all. At a time when I had zero sqlite experience, I switched a MySQL-based application to sqlite3 in a couple of hours or so; at no point was it difficult.

Anyone who basically groks SQL databases will grok sqlite very quickly. It's tiny and simple. It's nowhere near the CL library in terms of complexity, and I think there is no danger of creating a new elite here.

Best regards,
-Karl

[1] https://sqlite.org/footprint.html