Re: sqlite3

From: Po Lu
Subject: Re: sqlite3
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2021 21:12:11 +0800

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> What is the memory footprint of Emacs after loading those 2GB?  And
> why do you want everyone to have to keep such large mail collections
> in memory?  Not everyone has enough RAM installed to afford that.

Yes, growing memory footprint is a problem that has to be tackled
somehow.  Gnus (and some other programs, but it's mainly Gnus) eating
memory is starting to strain my system, and it has 32 GB of RAM.

> Frankly, I'm amazed at the bru-ha-ha this change triggered, and keep
> being amazed each day anew.  Who'd know that Emacs is such a
> scandalous environment?

I think people were worried that sqlite3 was going to be used as the
only way to save persistent variables (and even user customizations made
through custom).

But that concern has been addressed, so I'm happy now :)

The SQLite3 support itself would be nice to keep.