Re: sqlite3

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: sqlite3
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2021 10:37:55 +0000

Hello, Eli.

On Wed, Dec 15, 2021 at 15:06:45 +0200, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2021 22:01:33 +0000
> > Cc: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>, Qiantan Hong <qhong@mit.edu>, rms@gnu.org,
> >   eric@ericabrahamsen.net, cesar.mena@gmail.com, emacs-devel@gnu.org,
> >   luangruo@yahoo.com
> > From: Alan Mackenzie <acm@muc.de>

> > I question the wisdom of adding more inessential stuff to the Emacs core.
> > To be perfectly blunt, it is bloat.

> To be perfectly blunt, please leave that worry to Lars and myself.
> That's why we are here, that's why we invest such an inordinate amount
> of time working on Emacs (and on top of that, more time to participate
> in this futile dispute).

I'll keep this reply short.

[ .... ]

> > I feel sqlite has been added to the core, merged into master, with
> > indecent haste, and without due reflection.

> Your feelings are wrong, and disclosing them here is unfair.  You have
> no real evidence to back that up, and without that it is just an
> unfounded accusation.

Normally, potential new features spend more than just a few days on a
git branch, allowing people the chance to try them out and spot any
problems.  That didn't happen with this new sqlite feature.

[ .... ]

> Frankly, I'm amazed at the bru-ha-ha this change triggered, and keep
> being amazed each day anew.  Who'd know that Emacs is such a
> scandalous environment?

This change potentially changes what Emacs _is_.  Most changes don't do
that.  It came out of the blue and was integrated into master in a few
days.  I'd be surprised if a change like this didn't generate some
amount of unease.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).