Re: sqlite3

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: sqlite3
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2021 14:48:47 +0200

> Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2021 10:37:55 +0000
> Cc: kfogel@red-bean.com, qhong@mit.edu, rms@gnu.org, eric@ericabrahamsen.net,
>   cesar.mena@gmail.com, emacs-devel@gnu.org, luangruo@yahoo.com
> From: Alan Mackenzie <acm@muc.de>
>
> > > I feel sqlite has been added to the core, merged into master, with
> > > indecent haste, and without due reflection.
>
> > Your feelings are wrong, and disclosing them here is unfair.  You have
> > no real evidence to back that up, and without that it is just an
> > unfounded accusation.
>
> Normally, potential new features spend more than just a few days on a
> git branch, allowing people the chance to try them out and spot any
> problems.  That didn't happen with this new sqlite feature.

This sounds like a complaint against Lars working too fast and too
hard.  I'm quite sure we should be grateful instead.

If, for some personal reason, you were unable to track the discussions
when they happen, that's not a problem, because you can always voice
your opinions later.  That doesn't give any basis for castigating us
for not being slower.

> > Frankly, I'm amazed at the bru-ha-ha this change triggered, and keep
> > being amazed each day anew.  Who'd know that Emacs is such a
> > scandalous environment?
>
> This change potentially changes what Emacs _is_.

No, it doesn't, far from it.  It adds a niche feature which might be
useful in some use cases, that's all.