Re: Can watermarking Unicode text using invisible differences sneak thro

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Can watermarking Unicode text using invisible differences sneak through Emacs, or can Emacs detect it?
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2022 09:53:30 +0200

> From: Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org>
> Cc: psainty@orcon.net.nz, luangruo@yahoo.com,
>       kevin.legouguec@gmail.com, emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2022 23:23:56 -0500
>
>   > > How about using �
>
>   > That doesn't seem to remind anything like the original.
>
> Sorry, somehow I misremembered and thought the character was a with
> macron and tilde.  Was it actually a with breve and tilde?

Yes.

> Then the natural visual representations would be ă~ (a with breve,
> then tilde) and ã˘ (a with tilde, then breve),

Either one would be fine, but the former is better, I think, since ~
is an ASCII character, and so is universally supported.

>   > We could have alternatives like that, but it would have to be a
>   > better-looking alternative, since replacing one imperfect emulation
>   > with another that's not better doesn't sound like an improvement to
>   > me.
>
> It is much better.
>
> I would never hae guessed what a(? meant, just from seeing it.
> ă~ I could guess -- it's an a, with a breve and a tilde.
> Once I know it's a single character, because C-f moves over it,
> it would have to be a-with-breve-and-tilde.

Feel free to propose alternatives for such characters, which could be
better represented by an accented character followed by the rest of
accents expressed as ASCII equivalents (there's not a lot of them,
btw).  I don't have access to a Linux console to see which ones could
be supported.