Re: Can watermarking Unicode text using invisible differences sneak thro

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Can watermarking Unicode text using invisible differences sneak through Emacs, or can Emacs detect it?
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2022 08:26:03 +0200

> From: Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org>
> Cc: psainty@orcon.net.nz, luangruo@yahoo.com, emacs-devel@gnu.org,
>       kevin.legouguec@gmail.com
> Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2022 22:57:51 -0500
>
>   > If I understand correctly what you want, you should use U+25CC DOTTED
>   > CIRCLE before the combining character, not SPACE.
>
> Maybe that is right, but I don't understand it.
> Why is that right?

The dotted circle is the accepted method of showing stand-alone
combining characters.  It is used everywhere, and U+25CC exists for
that very purpose.

>   > > It wouldn't be very hard to add a list of extra decompositions that
>   > > are not known to Unicode itself.
>
>   > Sure, but that means we'd need some manually-maintained database
>   > anyway.
>
> Maybe so.  But these automatic methds will make a good simplification
> even if it doesn't simplify everything perfectly.

We disagree about whether this is a significant simplification.
Looking at the giant Lynx-derived database in latin1-disp.el, I fail
to see how making a small part of it auto-generated would be a win.