Re: Can watermarking Unicode text using invisible differences sneak thro

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Can watermarking Unicode text using invisible differences sneak through Emacs, or can Emacs detect it?
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2022 23:14:25 -0500

  > No, for replacements for the cdr part of the likes of

  >                (?\ẵ "a(?")

  > You said that you didn't like (? as the equivalent of the two
  > diacritics ̆̃, so I suggested that you propose alternative equivalents
  > which you'd like better.

That is the question I answered -- in full generality.
Instead of sending you a very long list of replacements,
I sent simple general rules to handle ALL characters
that have the form LETTER + DIACRITIC, and ALL characters
that have the form LETTER + DIACRITIC1 + DIACRITIC2.

The character you just cited is LATIN SMALL LETTER A WITH BREVE AND TILDE.
The rule is

    For each character whose name has the form

      latin (small|capital) letter \1 with \2 and \3

    if the terminal can't display that, but it can display \1 with \2,
    it should display

      LATIN (SMALL|CAPITAL) LETTER \1 WITH \2

    followed by the graphical form of \3.

    Otherwise, it should display

      \1 followed by the graphical form of \2 followed by the graphical form of
\3.

Following this rule, Emacs would display ă~, if the terminal can handle that,
otherwise a˘~ .

Have I said it clearly this time?