Re: Can watermarking Unicode text using invisible differences sneak thro

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Can watermarking Unicode text using invisible differences sneak through Emacs, or can Emacs detect it?
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2022 22:57:07 -0500

  > The dotted circle is the accepted method of showing stand-alone
  > combining characters.

Sorry, I didn't know about thus.  I don't argue against it.

Presenting characters that can't be displayed can use
DOTTED CIRCLE if the terminal can display that, and the combination
if that with the diacritics.
Otherwise it should use some other character, such as SPACE.

  > We disagree about whether this is a significant simplification.
  > Looking at the giant Lynx-derived database in latin1-disp.el, I fail
  > to see how making a small part of it auto-generated would be a win.

I had not seen that list before.

Earlier you said that the a(? translation was made by hand, so I am
somewhat confused now.

Most of those entries are for characters without diacritics, it seems,
and I'm not talking about those.  My objection is to some translations
of letters with diacritics.  Their meanings are not guessable.  I want
to replace them with sequences people will be able to understand at
first sight.

If the easiest way to do that is by editing that list, ok.
But maybe those characters don't need to be in the list at all.