Re: master 6ed1994d27: Prevent crashes from illegal locale coding system

From: Po Lu
Subject: Re: master 6ed1994d27: Prevent crashes from illegal locale coding systems
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2022 08:51:17 +0800

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> But even nonsensical text is better than no text at all, don't you
> agree?
>
> And anyway, in what possible encodings could this text be?  Can't we
> detect the encoding with reasonable success rate?

We could try the default value of locale-coding-system, but see below.

> I mean, dropping input on the floor, let alone doing that silently, is
> pretty rough, no?

It could be accompanied with a message that the locale coding system is
invalid.

Most keyboard input isn't dropped.  The only keyboard input that is is
multibyte text from input methods, so it won't affect the user's ability
to fix the locale coding system.

> Can't we catch those signals?

Not within C code, I think.

Thanks.