Re: master 6ed1994d27: Prevent crashes from illegal locale coding system

From: Po Lu
Subject: Re: master 6ed1994d27: Prevent crashes from illegal locale coding systems
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2022 21:55:54 +0800

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> [Why private email?]

Sorry for that, I copied in the list again.  And I apologize for sending
all of this twice.

> But this means we cannot call the decoding stuff there at all, because
> some coding-systems call into Lisp, and Lisp can signal an error.  So
> we probably should take the raw bytes in that place, record them in
> the event queue, and then decode it later, when it's safe.

What safe place would you find appropriate for the job?  And I'm not
sure if we have a mechanism in place to record the raw bytes that way,
so one will have to be devised.

> Are there other situations where we decode stuff inside
> handle_one_xevent or in a XIM callback?

There aren't any, AFAICT, other than the ones that I changed.

> If so, and if what you write is really accurate, then we have a
> ticking bomb waiting to go off, and we should defuse it ASAP.

Indeed.

> But given what you say above I think we have a much more serious
> problem on our hands.

Based on what you have said, I agree.

Thanks in advance.