Re: master 6ed1994d27: Prevent crashes from illegal locale coding system

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: master 6ed1994d27: Prevent crashes from illegal locale coding systems
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2022 05:32:19 +0200

> From: Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com>
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2022 08:51:17 +0800
>
> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
> > But even nonsensical text is better than no text at all, don't you
> > agree?
> >
> > And anyway, in what possible encodings could this text be?  Can't we
> > detect the encoding with reasonable success rate?
>
> We could try the default value of locale-coding-system

That should be done in any case, I think.

> > I mean, dropping input on the floor, let alone doing that silently, is
> > pretty rough, no?
>
> It could be accompanied with a message that the locale coding system is
> invalid.
>
> Most keyboard input isn't dropped.  The only keyboard input that is is
> multibyte text from input methods, so it won't affect the user's ability
> to fix the locale coding system.

I'd rather we tried to decode it in any way possible.  We never do
anything like this anywhere else where decoding is involved.

> > Can't we catch those signals?
>
> Not within C code, I think.

I don't understand why.  We do that in C in many places, see the calls
to internal_condition_case and its ilk.  Or am I missing something?