Re: Let's announce each new package added to GNU ELPA or NonGNU ELPA

From: Sacha Chua
Subject: Re: Let's announce each new package added to GNU ELPA or NonGNU ELPA
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2022 13:05:25 -0500

Hello, all!

>> I don't know if it is necessary, whenever a package gets added to an
>> archive, it is marked as "new" in the package list.  Given a decent
>> commentary section (something I often mention to package maintainers),
>> you also get a good overview of what the package does.
> And there are the weekly Emacs News by Sacha Chua, which summarize also
> the new packages of the week.

I can add archive source to the package lines, like this:

- New packages:
  - helm-twitch: Navigate Twitch.tv via `helm' (MELPA)
  - org-journal-tags: Tagging and querying system of org-journal (MELPA)
  - org-remark: Highlight & annotate any text files (GNU ELPA)
  - paimon: A major mode for Splunk (MELPA)
  - simplicity-theme: A minimalist dark theme (MELPA)

The caps feel a little visually cluttered, though.

Here's the 2022-02-14 edition in the emacs-tangents web archive:
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-tangents/2022-02/msg00001.html

When I get some focused time, I might be able to get the code to notice
when something has been newly listed in an archive even though it's
already been listed in a different archive, as might be the case for
MELPA packages that get listed on GNU ELPA or NonGNU ELPA. Maybe
something like

  - some-package: description goes here (newly listed on GNU ELPA, also
    on MELPA)

although maybe that's a bit long?

A number of people have mentioned noticing packages from this list
before, so some people do read it. An RSS or ATOM feed of new packages
and a feed of updated packages would probably be even more handy, or
maybe having created/modified dates baked into the package contents list
or a separate file. At the moment, I compare the package archive
contents with a datestamped list I store in a file, which is very
hackish.

Sacha