Re: Emacs 29.0.50 Snapshot binaries for WIndows

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Emacs 29.0.50 Snapshot binaries for WIndows
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2022 08:38:22 +0200

> From: Corwin Brust <corwin@bru.st>
> Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2022 21:37:48 -0600
> Cc: Phillip Lord <phillip.lord@russet.org.uk>
>
> Eli, Dieter,
>
> Do you agree we should continue to release Emacs snapshot builds for
> Windows from master periodically?

It's not up to me.  If these snapshots are useful, i.e. if enough
users will download and use them, then yes, having them would be good,
as that will allow us to expand the base of our continuous testing of
the development codebase.

> My leaning would be that we keep a rolling "last few" available,
> building them once or twice a week on a "best effort" basis.

Sure.  Keeping 2 or 3 last snapshots should be good, so people could
downgrade if the latest one is broken, or compare some behavior with
an older snapshot.

> Given you agree we should continue to publish snapshots at all, do you
> have preferences as to where they are placed?
>
> My leaning is to create a "snapshots" folder at the same level as the
> emacs-28 directory, thus /gnu/emacs/pretest/windows/snapshots.

On alpha.gnu.org, yes.

> Another obvious candidate would be "emacs-29" but I 'm a little
> hesitant it could cause confusion as to what release is imminent if we
> have both emacs-28 and emacs-29 folders at the same level of the tree
> while emacs-28 is still yet to be released.

Using "emacs-29" would be extra burden for you, as you'd need to
rename the directory or clean it up when we advance to the next
version on master.  So I think just 'snapshots' is better.

Thanks.