Re: Emacs 29.0.50 Snapshot binaries for WIndows

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Emacs 29.0.50 Snapshot binaries for WIndows
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2022 23:35:17 -0500

  > > The "snapshot" releases are apparently something else.  How are they
  > > different from the Windows binaries volunteers have made in the past?

  > They aren't made from releases but from copies ("snapshots") of the
  > development tree.

Thanks.  Now I know concretely what the issue is, and I can draw some
conclusions.

The issue is a matter of the priorities of our project.  We should not
be catering to Windows (or MacOS, or any nonfree system) more than we
cater to the GNU system, because GNU and the Free World get priority
on principle.

If people using versions the GNU system have no need for snapshots
like these (perhaps because they are all happier compiling the sources
themselves, as some have suggested), then then these snapshots don't
raise a moral issue.

But if in fact users of some GNU/Linux distros would like this kind of
snapshot too, we should provide this sort of help on those distros
before we provide it on Windows.

It's not a matter of _who_ does the work, it's a matter of which work
gets done.