Re: Emacs 29.0.50 Snapshot binaries for WIndows

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Emacs 29.0.50 Snapshot binaries for WIndows
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2022 23:34:30 -0500

  > So, if we try to make snapshots for GNU/Linux, we are likely "chasing
  > the tail" of efforts happening (and which, indeed, should be
  > happening) nearer to users' explicitly trusted sources/controls (for
  > example, when taking in pre-built versions of Emacs' dependencies for
  > their platform, when not building those from sources).

I see your point.

However, I have a feeling that you're focusing on the free GNU/Linux
distros that we do or could recommend.  (Please correct me if I'm
mistaken.)  If that is true, what is the situation with the most
popular GNU/Linux distros, such as Ubuntu?

We avoid suggesting people use those.  But, many people use Ubuntu
despite its nonfree software, just as many do use Windows despite its
nonfree software.  Are Emacs snapshots superfluous for Ubuntu?
Is this the case for Ubuntu?

  > So, if we try to make snapshots for GNU/Linux, we are likely "chasing
  > the tail" of efforts happening (and which, indeed, should be
  > happening) nearer to users' explicitly trusted sources/controls

This idea might be a good one:

  > A second, and likely compatible/interconnected idea to document
  > "recipies" for self-building Emacs, perhaps putting such a document
  > into admin/README.SNAPSHOT-DISTRO.

If that does the same good as making snapshots, but is less work,
we may as well take the easy way.

One question about basic info.  Could you tell me more about the
Windows snapshots that are being made?  What sources are they being
made from, and when?