Re: Emacs 29.0.50 Snapshot binaries for WIndows

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Emacs 29.0.50 Snapshot binaries for WIndows
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2022 08:46:17 +0200

> From: Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org>
> Cc: corwin@bru.st, emacs-devel@gnu.org, dieter@duenenhof-wilhelm.de,
>       phillip.lord@russet.org.uk
> Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2022 23:31:13 -0500
>
>   > >   > As much for my own testing as for yours, I have created a set of
>   > >   > binary "snapshot" releases of Emacs for Windows.
>   > >
>   > > Do we have something lie this for GNU/Linux?
>   > > Or is there some reason why there is no need for them on GNU/Linux?
>
>   > GNU/Linux users have the various distros that package Emacs binaries
>   > for them.  The volunteers who produce the MS-Windows binaries are in
>   > effect acting like such a distro for Windows users.
>
> That's true, but (1) they do this for _releases_

That's not true, AFAIU: there are development snapshot releases as
well.

> and (2) it is not new.

Neither is the fact that we provide MS-Windows binaries.  Volunteers
were providing precompiled Emacs binaries for MS-Windows for many
years.  For example, in https://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/windows/ you
can see pretest binaries that go back as far as Emacs 25, and that's
after numerous cleanups.

> The "snapshot" releases are apparently something else.  How are they
> different from the Windows binaries volunteers have made in the past?

They aren't.  AFAIR, we had snapshots at least since Emacs 27 if not
earlier.