Re: Emacs 29.0.50 Snapshot binaries for WIndows

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Emacs 29.0.50 Snapshot binaries for WIndows
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2022 07:18:04 +0200

On February 21, 2022 6:35:17 AM GMT+02:00, Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> wrote:

> The issue is a matter of the priorities of our project.  We should not
> be catering to Windows (or MacOS, or any nonfree system) more than we
> cater to the GNU system, because GNU and the Free World get priority
> on principle.

Once again, this is not a project's activity.  Emacs as a project doesn't
provide binaries for any platform, and I don't think it should.

These Windows binaries are produced by volunteers who aren't Emacs developers,
and the only support they get from us is advice regarding some aspects of the
packaging.  So I see no reason to question whether this raises some moral
issues.  We as a project aren't catering here to any OS, we are just answering
questions and sharing user experience.  That these discussions are held on
Emacs mailing lists shouldn't confuse us about the essence of this activity.