Re: Emacs 29.0.50 Snapshot binaries for WIndows

From: H. Dieter Wilhelm
Subject: Re: Emacs 29.0.50 Snapshot binaries for WIndows
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2022 13:41:37 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: Corwin Brust <corwin@bru.st>
>> Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2022 21:37:48 -0600
>> Cc: Phillip Lord <phillip.lord@russet.org.uk>
>>
>> Eli, Dieter,
>>
>> Do you agree we should continue to release Emacs snapshot builds for
>> Windows from master periodically?
>
> It's not up to me.  If these snapshots are useful, i.e. if enough
> users will download and use them, then yes, having them would be good,
> as that will allow us to expand the base of our continuous testing of
> the development codebase.

Already running Corwin's Emacs-29 build. :-)

>> My leaning would be that we keep a rolling "last few" available,
>> building them once or twice a week on a "best effort" basis.
>
> Sure.  Keeping 2 or 3 last snapshots should be good, so people could
> downgrade if the latest one is broken, or compare some behavior with
> an older snapshot.
>
>> Given you agree we should continue to publish snapshots at all, do you
>> have preferences as to where they are placed?
>>
>> My leaning is to create a "snapshots" folder at the same level as the
>> emacs-28 directory, thus /gnu/emacs/pretest/windows/snapshots.
>
> On alpha.gnu.org, yes.
>
>> Another obvious candidate would be "emacs-29" but I 'm a little
>> hesitant it could cause confusion as to what release is imminent if we
>> have both emacs-28 and emacs-29 folders at the same level of the tree
>> while emacs-28 is still yet to be released.
>
> Using "emacs-29" would be extra burden for you, as you'd need to
> rename the directory or clean it up when we advance to the next
> version on master.  So I think just 'snapshots' is better.

Total agreement to all above.  But I feel the structure of alpha.gnu.org
could tolerate some cleaning.

On alpha.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/ there are currently 2 folders

- pretest/
  |  pretest files
  |- windows/
     |  emacs-29 snapshot files
     |- emacs-27/
     |  | release files (redundant with ftp.gnu.org)
     |- emacs-28/
        | emacs-28 pretest files
        | emacs-28 snapshot files
- windows/ (superfluent with above folder windows/ folder, I think)
  | emacs-25 pretest files
  | emacs-28 pretest files

I think a less confusing - and still compatible - structure should be

- pretest/
  | pretest files
  |- windows/
     | pretest files or folders
- snapshot/
  | snapshot files
  |- windows/
     | snapshot files or folders

@Corwin: Do you also have wright access to ftp.gnu.org for the upcoming
release?

Is it really worth the burden to build snapshots of the release
branch-28, when there are pretests out?

Thanks
        Dieter
--