Re: Emacs 29.0.50 Snapshot binaries for WIndows

From: phillip . lord
Subject: Re: Emacs 29.0.50 Snapshot binaries for WIndows
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2022 22:41:49 +0000

On 2022-02-20 04:31, Richard Stallman wrote:

> > > As much for my own testing as for yours, I have created a set of
  > >   > binary "snapshot" releases of Emacs for Windows.
  > >
  > > Do we have something lie this for GNU/Linux?
> > Or is there some reason why there is no need for them on GNU/Linux?

> GNU/Linux users have the various distros that package Emacs binaries > for them. The volunteers who produce the MS-Windows binaries are in
  > effect acting like such a distro for Windows users.

That's true, but (1) they do this for _releases_ and (2) it is not new.

The "snapshot" releases are apparently something else.  How are they
different from the Windows binaries volunteers have made in the past?

I have been making snapshots (somewhat erratically) for many years. So they are the same as those.

The justification is the same as with the release binaries. Users of windows often lack the tools for building their software, while it's common under GNU/Linux and other systems. Most of the people who want "snapshots" on GNU/Linux build from a git checkout. That's not so easy for windows, hence we have snapshots.

I don't see this as providing more support from windows, just making up for a difficulty on windows.

Phil