Re: Emacs 29.0.50 Snapshot binaries for WIndows

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: Re: Emacs 29.0.50 Snapshot binaries for WIndows
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2022 11:28:46 +0000

Corwin Brust <corwin@bru.st> writes:

> On Thu, Feb 24, 2022 at 12:55 AM Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:
>>
>> If you produce the source zip from the Git tree, make sure to exclude
>> the .git subdirectory from the archive, or remove it (with "zip -d")
>> after creating the archive.
>
> I was producing from the source tree.  I'm now taking care to avoid
> including the .git folder, using this:
>
>   zip -9r ${WORKING_DIR}/emacs${RELEASE_ID}-src.zip . -x .git/ .git/\*
>
> I put a new set here, for the moment; TIA for letting me know of
> (more) problems. (These reflect the emacs-28 branch as of an hour or
> so ago and have native full ahead-of-time enabled.)
>
> https://corwin.bru.st/emacs-28/

Apologies, I forgot to document how I did this bit -- I had some shell
scripts that launched build-zips.sh and it is they that produced the
source.

It's actually fairly simple and Emacs already supports it!

pushd master
echo Making Source
## Make the source so we can distribute it, but don't update because
## we've build in a different directory. --no-changelog is also needed
## because otherwise we run make which runs configure
./make-dist --snapshot --no-check --no-changelog
rename .tar _`date +%Y-%m-%d`.tar emacs*.tar.gz
mv emacs-*.tar.gz ~/emacs-upload
popd

"make-dist" is slightly confusing as a name in this context but, of
course, the distribution it refers to is the source one.

Phil