RE: [External] : Easy way to make Emacs look more "modern"

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: [External] : Easy way to make Emacs look more "modern"
Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2022 21:43:19 +0000

That's a pretty minor change in appearance.

It's fine with me either way.  (I don't see
a real need to adopt it as the default.)

There's less contrast in the backgrounds of
active and inactive than what we've had -
so it's harder to see which is active.  And
you lose ~1 line of real estate for content.
Those are drawbacks, I think, however minor.

But it's OK by me.
___

However, if there's one thing that really
comes across as old-fashioned, IMO, it's
talking about something being "modern" or
more "modern".

That's been the watchword of has-been
advertising since the middle of the 19th
century (if not soon after Gutenberg).

There's _nothing_ new about declaring
something "modern".  Old as the hills.
So it means nothing.  Nothing more than
suggesting that someone wants to sell it
to folks inclined to jump on the latest
passing band wagon.  Smells of snake oil.

Just speak to _what_ the differences are,
objectively.  And tout the advantages of
those differences.  Never mind trying to
convince folks it's an advancement because
it's sold as a "modern" remedy.
___

[IMO, more important than changing the
"prettiness" of the mode-line is giving
it content that's more useful.  But I see
themes and custom mode-lines that get
adopted only for their "looks", so my
opinion is likely a minority one.]