Re: [External] : Easy way to make Emacs look more "modern"

From: Visuwesh
Subject: Re: [External] : Easy way to make Emacs look more "modern"
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2022 13:34:39 +0530

[ஞாயிறு ஏப்ரல் 10, 2022] Daniele Nicolodi wrote:

> On 10/04/2022 04:41, Visuwesh wrote:
>> [ஞாயிறு ஏப்ரல் 10, 2022] Drew Adams wrote:
>>
>>> [...]
>>> I just pulled up Emacs 27.2 twice (`emacs -Q')
>>> and applied your code in one of those instances.
>>>
>>> Opened two buffers in two frames, in each instance,
>>> to compare.
>>>
>>> It's easier without your changes to tell which
>>> window is selected (active mode-line).  Nothing
>>> mathematical.  Try it, and I think you'll see what
>>> I mean.
>>>
>> +1.  The contrast is really poor.  This is why I like the Emacs
>> default:
>> the difference in the background colour combined with the different box
>> style makes it easy to find the active window.  Moreover, the padding
>> around the mode-line is excessive and with the scroll-bar turned on, it
>> looks funny.
>
> Thank you for giving it a spin. I appreciate the comments. Is this
> with the minimal change I propose, or with the extended one that also
> changes the background colors?

Latter.

> I should also add that I have different preferred color themes and
> tweaks for different monitors and different work environments. I used
> for a while the flattened mode-line only in one combination of
> these. It seems fine here, but I may come to your same conclusion in
> other setups.
>

> I think restoring the contrast is very easy tweaking the distance
> between the background colors. Maybe the merit of removing the 3D box
> and increasing the padding (box line width technically) should be
> evaluated separately from the exact choice of colors.

I would personally add no padding.  The mode-line already takes enough
space, adding padding to it only worsens the problem (and as I said, the
scroll-bar looks odd with a large mode-line); I personally set the font
height to be a bit smaller than the default face's.

I also believe that 3d box adds to the accessibility part but if the
maintainers decide to remove it, I will add it back to my theme.