Re: [External] : Easy way to make Emacs look more "modern"

From: Daniele Nicolodi
Subject: Re: [External] : Easy way to make Emacs look more "modern"
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2022 08:38:17 +0200

On 10/04/2022 04:41, Visuwesh wrote:
[ஞாயிறு ஏப்ரல் 10, 2022] Drew Adams wrote:

There's less contrast in the backgrounds of
active and inactive than what we've had - > so it's harder to see
which is active.

How do you define contrast? I am proposing to change only the box
color:
the active box color to a lighter shade and the inactive one to a
lighter shade. I think the contrast overall is unchanged. But I admit
that I haven't mathematically computer it.

I just pulled up Emacs 27.2 twice (`emacs -Q')
and applied your code in one of those instances.

Opened two buffers in two frames, in each instance,
to compare.

It's easier without your changes to tell which
window is selected (active mode-line).  Nothing
mathematical.  Try it, and I think you'll see what
I mean.

+1.  The contrast is really poor.  This is why I like the Emacs default:
the difference in the background colour combined with the different box
style makes it easy to find the active window.  Moreover, the padding
around the mode-line is excessive and with the scroll-bar turned on, it
looks funny.

Thank you for giving it a spin. I appreciate the comments. Is this with the minimal change I propose, or with the extended one that also changes the background colors?

I should also add that I have different preferred color themes and tweaks for different monitors and different work environments. I used for a while the flattened mode-line only in one combination of these. It seems fine here, but I may come to your same conclusion in other setups.

I think restoring the contrast is very easy tweaking the distance between the background colors. Maybe the merit of removing the 3D box and increasing the padding (box line width technically) should be evaluated separately from the exact choice of colors.

Cheers,
Dan