Re: Not able to display \u110BD and \u110CD in Emacs

From: Madhu
Subject: Re: Not able to display \u110BD and \u110CD in Emacs
Date: Thu, 05 May 2022 21:23:50 +0530

* Eli Zaretskii <837d779kgx.fsf @gnu.org> :
Wrote on Sat, 30 Apr 2022 09:03:10 +0300:

> Since this shows the "by this font" part, it means the character _is_
> displayed according to the font's glyph for it, and according to
> Emacs's rules for displaying such "format-control" characters.  So now
> I don't think I understand why you say this character is not shown by
> Emacs, when the above clearly says it is displayed.
>
>> In the character section the character is not displayed in emacs but
>> displayed in firefox, but it is displayed in
>> the decomposition section in emacs. I have attached the images
>> Opening the font file in font forge also shows their glyphs
>
> You are confusing the display of a lone codepoint with what Font Forge
> does and what Emacs does in the "decomposition" display.  Those do not
> show the lone character, they show it with special characters before
> or after, to show how the character will look when combined with
> others.
>
> IOW, I think your expectations from how this character should be
> displayed as a lone character are incorrect.
>
> Can you tell why you want this to be displayed differently when it is
> a lone character?  AFAIU, the only meaningful display of this
> character is when it precedes numerals.

I believe there is a similar problen with composition of devanagari
stress accents with devanagari numerals: The devanagari numerals 1
(#x967) & 3 (#x969) can be combined with the svarita (#x951, incorrectly
named in unicode as DEVANAGARI STRESS SIGN UDATTA) and the anudatta
(#x952) to form the 4 different accents.

numeral one + anudatta + svarita
preceding anudatta + numeral three + anudatta + svarita
numeral one +  anudatta
numeral three + anudatta + svarita

e.g.  (#x969 #x951 #x952), when composed, the devanagari numeral 3
should have an anudatta ("line below") and svarita ("vertical line
above"), but it ends up rendering the numeral three, and two then two
thin empty vertical boxes. If the boxes render the stress accents I
can't see them, they just appear as boxes.

  name: DEVANAGARI STRESS SIGN ANUDATTA
          buffer code: #xE0 #xA5 #x92
              display: by this font (glyph code):
    ftcrhb:-IITB-Shobhika-regular-normal-normal-*-17-*-*-*-*-0-iso10646-1
(#x312)