Re: Not able to display \u110BD and \u110CD in Emacs

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Not able to display \u110BD and \u110CD in Emacs
Date: Thu, 05 May 2022 19:47:38 +0300

> From: Madhu <enometh@meer.net>
> Date: Thu, 05 May 2022 21:23:50 +0530
>
> > Can you tell why you want this to be displayed differently when it is
> > a lone character?  AFAIU, the only meaningful display of this
> > character is when it precedes numerals.
>
> I believe there is a similar problen with composition of devanagari
> stress accents with devanagari numerals:

AFAIU, it's definitely NOT the same problem.

> The devanagari numerals 1
> (#x967) & 3 (#x969) can be combined with the svarita (#x951, incorrectly
> named in unicode as DEVANAGARI STRESS SIGN UDATTA) and the anudatta
> (#x952) to form the 4 different accents.
>
> numeral one + anudatta + svarita
> preceding anudatta + numeral three + anudatta + svarita
> numeral one +  anudatta
> numeral three + anudatta + svarita

I see no sign of such composition rules for Devanagai in
lisp/language/indian.el.  So it isn't a surprise that Emacs doesn't
display those sequences like you expect.

I will take a look at this when I have time, but please file a bug
report about this issue.  If you can include in the report the results
of running hb-view (from the HarfBuzz distribution) on the text
sequences you describe, that would help.

Thanks.