Re: Not able to display \u110BD and \u110CD in Emacs

From: Madhu
Subject: Re: Not able to display \u110BD and \u110CD in Emacs
Date: Fri, 06 May 2022 09:29:45 +0530

* Eli Zaretskii <835ymk2afp.fsf@gnu.org> :
Wrote on Thu, 05 May 2022 19:47:38 +0300:
>> From: Madhu <enometh@meer.net>
>> Date: Thu, 05 May 2022 21:23:50 +0530
>> > Can you tell why you want this to be displayed differently when it is
>> > a lone character?  AFAIU, the only meaningful display of this
>> > character is when it precedes numerals.
>> I believe there is a similar problen with composition of devanagari
>> stress accents with devanagari numerals:
>
> AFAIU, it's definitely NOT the same problem.

I'm sure you're right.

[bear with me: I downloaded NotoSansKaithi-Regular.ttf and tried to
replicate what Sameer had done: First I was not able to get hb-view to
produce the output shown in the first post: the #x110bc number sign
doesn't span the following numbers. Then After mutating the
composition-function-table as indicated, i had to set

(set-fontset-font "fontset-default" '(#x11080 . #x110cf)
                  (font-spec :name "Noto Sans Kaithi"
                             ;; :otf '(kthi nil (rphf))
                             :registry "iso10646-1" ))

is this incorrect?  if i add the :otf key then "find-font doesn't find
the font", but then i still see no span-composition, and only see the
thin white space with #x110bd (even after using this font for devanagri
numerals (#x966 . #x96f)) - so I haven't understood what the resolution
was]

>> The devanagari numerals 1
>> (#x967) & 3 (#x969) can be combined with the svarita (#x951, incorrectly
>> named in unicode as DEVANAGARI STRESS SIGN UDATTA) and the anudatta
>> (#x952) to form the 4 different accents.
>
> I see no sign of such composition rules for Devanagai in
> lisp/language/indian.el.  So it isn't a surprise that Emacs doesn't
> display those sequences like you expect.
>
> I will take a look at this when I have time, but please file a bug
> report about this issue.  If you can include in the report the results
> of running hb-view (from the HarfBuzz distribution) on the text
> sequences you describe, that would help.

I'll try to this by the following week.