Re: Request to add tomelr package to GNU ELPA

From: Kaushal Modi
Subject: Re: Request to add tomelr package to GNU ELPA
Date: Thu, 5 May 2022 17:16:05 -0400

On Thu, May 5, 2022 at 2:36 PM Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> wrote:

> I wonder: Is the TOML syntax actually in use by users

I have seen TOML in wild at multiple places:

1. Hugo static site generator config file (config.toml):
https://gohugo.io/getting-started/configuration/
2. Blog post front-matter (meta-data). The top portion of each blog
post contains meta-data for the post, like title, author, tags, etc.
*This is the primary reason why I created tomerl.el.*
3. I haven't coded in Rust but I have seen TOML gain popularity due to
its package config (cargo.toml) files:
https://doc.rust-lang.org/cargo/reference/manifest.html
4. Many languages (Python, Perl, Rust, Nim, C, C++, Go, Java, Swift,
Dart, Fortran, etc.) have parsers and generators for TOML.

> , or is it effectively just a proposal for programs to possibly adopt?

Based on above, it's used in many large projects already. These
projects definitely saw the value of using TOML over YAML and JSON.

> If it is the latter, I think it's not useful to include in GNU ELPA.
> Let's instead wait and see if it catches on.

Sorry, but this package is already on GNU ELPA and I am already using
it as a dependency for my other project ox-hugo (it converts Org mode
content to Markdown for the Hugo static site generator, and converts
the meta-data from Org mode to TOML front-matter for the posts (now
using this tomelr library)).

>  That would be the time to include support for it in Emacs.

I requested to have this package included only to GNU ELPA, and it's
already there. So I am grateful for that.
https://elpa.gnu.org/packages/tomelr.html

Thanks for your comments!