Re: [Orgmode] Co-maintainer, a least for some time?

From: Thomas S. Dye
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Co-maintainer, a least for some time?
Date: Wed, 19 May 2010 07:01:35 -1000

Aloha Carsten,

From my view on the list it appears you work without a queue, which seems counterintuitive for a Lisp programmer of Org-mode :) But a queue for Carsten is not the answer because Org-mode people love the furious pace of development and would likely chafe at a slow queue. Perhaps what is needed are community queues for bugs, feature requests, and patches.

A list of proposed patches would let early adopters try them out. Once the patches had been tested, early adopters could report their results to the list. Presumably this would weed out the bad patches, hone the good ones with flaws, and pass through the gems in good order. Once the buzz on the list about a patch reached a certain level and you found time to look at the vetted result, early adopters could move off their bug-test branches and back onto the main branch.

This organization might maintain the pace of development activity, but put you in a position of working with a community managed queue at your leisure.

It is difficult for me to imagine the co-maintainer solution.

All the best,
Tom