Re: [Orgmode] Creating files for a Kindle

From: Jeff Horn
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] Creating files for a Kindle
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2010 17:02:12 -0500

On Sat, Nov 27, 2010 at 3:48 PM, Graham Smith <address@hidden> wrote:
> The Kindle file format is apparently modified HTML, but the guidance I have
> found seems to revolve around creating files in MSWord and then converting
> to Kindle by uploading to Amazon OR using Calibre to convert PDFs to Kindle.
> There is also a Mobi publisher that will convert files to Kindle, but its
> Windows only.

I thought it was all proprietary. I'm surprised there are any
third-party converters.

> The problem I have had, is that PDFs converted to Kindle lose a lot of
> formatting, including tables.

Yep, that pretty much made me want the Kindle DX. Native PDFs are
great on a big screen.

> My guess is that orgmode files exported as HTML and then converted to Kindle
> may be the way to go, but, as I said, I  would be interested if anyone has
> already established a work flow for this.

Kindles understand native HTML as I understand it. Why not use org to
convert your files to HTML, style them if you wish, and put them
directly on your kindle? I've done that with a few short lists and
it's worked fine. Just drag and drop the HTML into the kindle
documents directory.

Jeff

--
Jeffrey Horn
Graduate Lecturer and PhD Student in Economics

(704) 271-4797
address@hidden
address@hidden

http://www.failuretorefrain.com/jeff/