Re: [O] [Announce] A GitHub Issues interface for Org-mode

From: William Henney
Subject: Re: [O] [Announce] A GitHub Issues interface for Org-mode
Date: Mon, 30 May 2011 09:38:08 -0500

Hi Puneeth

On Sun, May 29, 2011 at 11:43 PM, Puneeth Chaganti <address@hidden> wrote:
> William,
>
> Thanks for trying it out!

No problem - anything to avoid doing my real work....

> On Mon, May 30, 2011 at 9:16 AM, William Henney <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>> This looks very promising - thanks! It is a shame though that the body
>> of the issue and the comments don't get synched (I see that you have
>> these listed as TODO). I also noticed that if I type any text directly
>
> This is Experimental and I am open to suggestions, but one of the
> problems I have is that the GitHub API v3 is unstable and causing some
> trouble. I initially had a version, where the BODY of the issue was
> being sync-ed, but after a while, I stopped getting the body of the
> issue in the JSON. I'm not sure what went wrong, but a simple GET
> using curl also failed to give me the body.  I shall look at it again,
> in a short while.

Is the v2 API missing some features you need? Maybe it would be better
to use that until v3 is out of beta

>> under the issue's heading in my org file, then this text is /wiped/
>> when I execute =org-ghi-update-current-issue=. However, any
>> subheadings (and their text) do survive, but they never get synched
>> back to GitHub.
>
> I haven't figured out what would be the right way to do this. I am
> open to any suggestions from your side.

Well, the wiping of text directly below an issue's level 2 heading is
a data-loss bug, so I would suggest that you certainly don't do that
:)

With respect to sub-headings (level 3 or below) that are added by hand
to the github.org file, I would suggest that by default you do not
sync them with GitHub. Maybe you could have a function called
something like org-ghi-make-heading-a-comment that would work in a
similar way to org-ghi-make-todo-an-issue. However, it seems that
GitHub issue comments only understand markdown syntax, not org syntax,
so unless the comment is just simple text it would require an export
step (https://github.com/alexhenning/ORGMODE-Markdown might help
there).

Cheers

Will

--

  Dr William Henney, Centro de Radioastronomía y Astrofísica,
  Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México, Campus Morelia