Re: a way to not close mpv window on next/prev because exwm

From: Mike Kazantsev
Subject: Re: a way to not close mpv window on next/prev because exwm
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2020 12:44:26 +0500

On Fri, 20 Nov 2020 03:39:53 +0100
Stefan Huchler <stefan.huchler@mail.de> wrote:

> Yes it seems not the right solution, the point is to not have the window
> closed, I don't need syncronisation between the 2 playlists.
>
> The window closing and opening is the again the problem.

I think such synchronisation was suggested as a way to fix the issue.
I.e. if you let mpv know that there's a track after current one via its
own internal playlist, it won't close the window.

> It's detectable if a track ends and then it just should send the command
> loadfile nextfile which default replaces and starts the next track. and
> if the track is eof it should do the same basically.
>
> When I read the doku of emms-player-mpv-ipc-method it sounded to me that
> this is configurable through this variable:
>
> ;; It works in one of two modes, depending on `emms-player-mpv-ipc-method'
> ;; customizable value or installed mpv version:
> ;;
> ;;
> ;;  - Using long-running mpv instance and JSON IPC interface to switch tracks
> ;;    and receive player feedback/metadata - for mpv 0.7.0 2014-10-16 and
> later.
> ;;
> ;;  - Starting new mpv instance for each track, using its exit
> ;;    as "next track" signal and --input-file interface for pause/seek.
> ;;    Used as a fallback for any older mpv versions (supported in all of
> them).
> ;;
>
> So that sounds that 1 mode starts and exits and the json ipc don't does
> that, but I think I missunderstand that, but I don't see a need for the
> quit of the window in between, when I set it to ipc-server or it
> autodetects that I don't see why it should stop the mpv when I set
> keep-open in my mpv config file.
>
> Or in other words I wish it would not do that or give a option to
> prevent it from quiting the player between each track.

Yes, it should not quit between tracks as it is, unless you set
emms-player-mpv-ipc-method to 'file.

I think loadfile simply replacing the currently-played track does the
video window closing/reopening on mpv side though, hence my earlier
suggestion to try some options which might prevent that.

Failing that, sounds like my other suggestion (to use append flags for
loadfile before track ends or sync playlists from emms) was quite like
what umpv does.

--
Mike Kazantsev // fraggod.net