Re: [fluid-dev] FluidSynth 1.1.2 release planning

From: Sven Meier
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] FluidSynth 1.1.2 release planning
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2010 21:40:06 +0200

So if we were to remove the winbuild directory altogether ... does that sound
fair enough to everyone?

Yes please, this directory should be removed.

Sven

On 07/16/2010 07:35 PM, David Henningsson wrote:
2010-07-16 17:29, Pedro Lopez-Cabanillas skrev:
On Friday, July 16, 2010, Elimar Green wrote:
It would be nice to have the MSVC projects working.  I have struggled
in the past to keep this going, despite the fact I don't personally
use it.  Fixing it could be deferred to a later release though.
I think that I've explained this before, but let me clarify this issue one
more time.

There is a directory in the SVN, named "winbuild" containing these hand made
project files:
* fluidsynth.sln, a VS2008 solution and its MSVC projects (*.vcproj)
* fluidsynth.dsw, a VC6.0 workspace and its MSVC projects (*.dsp)

After the last directory reorganisation and new sources were added, these hand
made projects are broken. Is that a problem for Windows users using MSVC
compilers? No! because there is a new CMake based build system which works in
Windows, has nice GUI front-ends, and can create MSVC projects/solutions. The
same build system can be used to generate a set of Makefiles for MinGW, and
it generates Makefiles for Linux, too!
So if we were to remove the winbuild directory altogether, is there
anything we would lose? Anything which wouldn't work as good as the
hand-made ones?

If not, I suggest we do so (or move the dir into "unused"), and put a
note in the README file. And a simple guide (just a few lines) in
README.cmake for generating the project file(s).

Does that sound fair enough to everyone?

Anyway, I'm not going to maintain the MSVC hand made project files but if
somebody wants to do so, I don't mind.
Yeah, I would also prefer not having to update more build systems.

// David