RE: [FR-devel] Sample plugin

From: Curt Hibbs
Subject: RE: [FR-devel] Sample plugin
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 2002 03:42:32 -0700

Laurent Julliard wrote:

> Curt,all
>
>    I have made some changes here and there in the code over the pas few
> days which I think have strengthen the code a bit (see FR-cvsevents). My
> next step for now is to write a very basic plugin for FR that will
> simply insert a new menu item in thee Tools menu for instance.

Thanks for all of your hard work on this and the rest -- I really appreciate
the way you've moved forward on this.

>    I must say that so far I haven't been very successful. I have written
> a  "add_command" method in MenuPanes.rb which is supposed to append a
> new command at the end of the existing menu pane but then it crashes the
> application with a FOX error... I'm going to see if this is due to a bad
> use of FOX.
>
>    In the meantime Curt, I suggest that if you spend some time on FR you
> should try and write a skeleton of a plugin with this very basic feature
> in it (add a menu item on the fly). Also if you have advices on how to
> do that given what we have today please tell me.

Until June I was working out of my home office, but I'm currently commuting
to my client's office in San Francisco, and I don't really have the option
of running Linux. If I was at my home office I also run Linux in a VMWare
virtual machine (like Rich started doing), but the sub-notebook that I take
to San Francisco is too low-powered and resource constrained to run VMWare.

This was one of my motivations for trying to solve the current problems with
Windows. Anyway, I will try to hack a way to get FreeRIDE running on Windows
again, so that I can start helping out here, as you suggested.

Curt