RE: [FR-devel] ANNOUNCE: FXScintilla 1.46.2

From: Curt Hibbs
Subject: RE: [FR-devel] ANNOUNCE: FXScintilla 1.46.2
Date: Mon, 8 Jul 2002 13:10:35 -0700

Laurent Julliard wrote:

> My 10 years experience with Linux has learned me a couple of things if
> you really want to make your life easy
>
> - use an RPM based distribution because this is by far the most popular
> packaging system
> - use RedHat or a RedHat derivative (like Mandrake) because it has a
> large user base.
>
> I have nothing against Gentoo linux, it's probably a good distro from
> what I have seen. I have been using Mandrake for 6 years and it is good
> compromise between up to date packages and stability
>
> Just my personal opinion

I'm sure you are entirely correct. I'm really a Linux-Wanne-Be: I play with
it from time-to-time, but have not yet used it seriously. Mandrake was what
I had installed before I discovered Gentoo.

What I liked about Gentoo is that you build your system from source code,
not binaries, using an automated system that seems to have all of the tight
dependency checking of debian while being very up-to-date (e.g., KDE 3 was
available less than a day after its official release). Plus the very helpful
ML reminds me a lot of the Ruby ML.

Curt