Re: [FR-devel] Editor API?

From: Hal E. Fulton
Subject: Re: [FR-devel] Editor API?
Date: Wed, 4 Sep 2002 12:39:07 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "Curt Hibbs" <address@hidden>
To: <address@hidden>
Sent: Wednesday, September 04, 2002 8:32 AM

> Rich Kilmer wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
> > The code editor widget is one of the most important components in an
> > IDE, and I think that Scintilla is definitely the way to go here (see
> > http://www.scintilla.org ).  Anyway, Laurent and I need to agree on the
> > high-level API prior to your writing about it...that is something I hope
> > we can work on soon.
>
> If you and Laurent could just come up with the high-level approach that
you
> think is appropriate for exposing the schintilla api, Hal could then apply
> that "design pattern" to the particular pieces that he believes are
"core".

If I underst(and|ood) Curt correctly, I'll be enhancing the API, not
just writing about it. Not to complain, but pure documentation is a
little boring compared to coding.

Now that I know Scintilla is Not What I Thought, I'll make an effort
to grok it.

I did examine scintilla.rb, but found it to be fairly dense and opaque.

> > BTW:  Are you going to be at RubyConf 2.0???
>
> BTW: I am going to try very hard to make it to the conference. I don't yet
> know if I will be able to, but I sure want to be there.

As for me, I plan to be there. May have to walk. The Fates have
left me unemployed for over a year - see
http://hypermetrics.com/personal/canned
:)

Actually, I'm supposed to give a talk (on Ruby's radically OO model).
I'm trying to figure out how to make it interesting and worthwhile
for those who already know Ruby.

Hal