RE: [FR-devel] Editor API?

From: Curt Hibbs
Subject: RE: [FR-devel] Editor API?
Date: Wed, 4 Sep 2002 13:14:02 -0700

Hal E. Fulton:

> > If you and Laurent could just come up with the high-level approach that
> you
> > think is appropriate for exposing the scintilla api, Hal could
> then apply
> > that "design pattern" to the particular pieces that he believes are
> "core".
>
> If I underst(and|ood) Curt correctly, I'll be enhancing the API, not
> just writing about it. Not to complain, but pure documentation is a
> little boring compared to coding.

Sorry I wasn't clearer, but you are correct -- that is precisely what I
meant. I wouldn't expect the native scintilla api to be particularly
rubyesque.

> Now that I know Scintilla is Not What I Thought, I'll make an effort
> to grok it.
>
> I did examine scintilla.rb, but found it to be fairly dense and opaque.

The docs on the scintilla site are probably your best bet.

> > > BTW:  Are you going to be at RubyConf 2.0???
> >
> > BTW: I am going to try very hard to make it to the conference.
> I don't yet
> > know if I will be able to, but I sure want to be there.
>
> As for me, I plan to be there. May have to walk. The Fates have
> left me unemployed for over a year - see
> http://hypermetrics.com/personal/canned
> :)

Yikes! I personally couldn't have survived that long (I have a non-working
wife and I support an extended family). So, I am simultaneously impressed
with your ability to avoid total depression and sorry that you're going
through this. Have you thought about relocating? Its probably a lot more fun
being unemployed in Hawaii :)

BTW, when I visited your URL above, my eye was immediately drawn to the
little box with the CIA link. As fate would have it, I actually worked for
the CIA from 1972 to 1977 (no, I wasn't a spy -- just a programmer).

Curt