Re: [FR-devel] Editor API?

From: Hal E. Fulton
Subject: Re: [FR-devel] Editor API?
Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2002 04:40:36 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "Laurent Julliard" <address@hidden>
To: <address@hidden>
Sent: Thursday, September 05, 2002 2:25 AM

>  From there, honestly, I don;t known where you should go. Write
> another abstraction layer in between FR and FXScintilla. Why not? My
> problem with this is that a) we haven't used the Editor API much and
> we don;t know how the ideal API should look like and b) would the
> abstraction layer be better than the Scintilla API and why not assume
> that our abstraction layer is the Scintilla APi and if we ever need to
> use another editor one day then you'll write an adapter so that this
> new editor shows an Scintilla like API.

I see your point. My impression is that the Scintilla API is not
optimal, but then I have not used it yet.

> As I said to Rich a few days ago and I re-iterate my view here (And
> Curt is ok with me) we need to implement the source code browser
> plugin and I'm not sure anybody is working on it. Not only is it an
> interesting part of the project bu it will also allow you to
> experiment with the current Scintilla API and then you can decide if
> another layer must be added on top of it and what it should look like.

I'm OK with that, but I know nothing about this sub-project.

I thought Nishio Mizuho (sp?) had a class browser that was
going to be integrated into FR?

> I *really* want to see a first working release of FR soon. Then we can
> throw the first version away and start a cleaner one if need one. but
> let's get our feet wet first. This is exactly what I'm doing with the
> debugger, learning a lot about incompatibilities between Linux and
> Windows at the Ruby level and if you take the same approach for the
> class/method browser you'll learn a lot as well.

That is fine with me. I'll go to the wiki and see if it
says much about the browser portion.

Thanks,
Hal