Re: [FR-devel] Hi to FR-devel (and lil question)

From: Laurent Julliard
Subject: Re: [FR-devel] Hi to FR-devel (and lil question)
Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 22:57:29 +0200

gabriele renzi wrote:
Hi everybody!
I just subscribed this ml (or , Curt just approved
me), so I need to say why I'm here .

I'm a student in Computer Engineering in Italy, and a
ruby fan since may/2002.
Even if I have some experience with Java and C I don't
think I'm a good programmer at all,  so I wont bother
you about main design issues ;)
The main reason I subscribed this list is that I think
FreeRIDE is something wonderful and I'd just want to
follow its development.

The other reason is that obviously I hope I can help
someway, writing plugins and so on.

Or, at least, founding bugs [3534,3535,3562] ^_^

So I start directly with a little question: I was thinking about a simple "Goto Line|Word" tool,
but I don't know how to put up a simple prompting box.

I looked in the rubyide_gui (and fox_gui)dir, but
could'nt find nothing. Do I have to use Fox directly ?

And, why there are no msgBox (prompt, alert, yes/no
etc) at all in rubyide_gui? Do you think that these
are just toolkit-specific?

Actually there are such things already in place in FR. These are genric services that can be used by any plugin. Therefore they are not associated with a particular but are rather published in the command section of the databus, more precisely in:
/system/ui/commands/App/Services/

There you'll find YesNoDialog, YesNoCancelDialog and MessageBox dialog.

Invoking one of those is quite easy .e.g for MessageBox
cmd_mgr = @plugin["/system/ui/commands"].manager
cmd_mgr.command('App/Services/MessageBox').invoke("File Load Error!",msg)

As to the GotoLine and GotoWord you mentioned they definitely relate to the EditPane plugin so they should appear under /system/ui/commands/EditPane where a number of EditPane related services are already published.

The editpane renderer plugin should publish be responsible for building the FX dialog box and display it as well as publishing it under /system/ui/commands/EditPane and retrieve the line number typed by the user.

The start method of the editpane plugin should publish a new item in the Edit Menu (e.g. Goto Line - Ctrl-G) and trigger the goto line dialog box

Hope this clarify how things are working in FR:

a) The UI and the application logic are decoupled
b) The services are published and invoked through the databus rather than called directly which makes the plugin architecture so powerful

Laurent

PS
I have to thank Curt Hibbs for accepting my request, I
hope I wont hurt nobody :)