Re: [glob2-devel] A note about the roadmap

From: Martin Voelkle
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] A note about the roadmap
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2005 15:13:00 +0100

>Just a thought about the roadmap I would like to share with you: while the
>next release will be a cleaning only release (auxiliary spread on several
>releases if required), after this I think it would be nice to think about
>extensibility, that is scripting and API.

This sounds really nice.

A good cleanup will be nice before implimenting a stronger scripting
language, and this is also true for the API/GUI part.

I am a little confused about the API part, as I have seen some
references to the Qt library. In my view the only real good choice is
the Gtk2++ (gtkmm), as this use the same license as Glob2, and does not
need funny preprocessors :-)

QT4 is licensed under the GPL license (among others).
And you can't compare gtkmm with qt: qt does way more things that are not GUI related. Its advantage compared with the Gnome parts that are available on windows (to be more inclusive than just gtkmm) is that it is a single dependency. The funny preprocessor is completely transparent if you use qt's qmake build system.
I still do prefer gtkmm for GUIs because it is much cleaner. But the single dependency is a very strong argument.

Martin